Persistent DFIR Chaos Monkeys: Experimenting with Headlong

Persistent DFIR Chaos Monkeys: Experimenting with Headlong

Goals

For the past week or so I've been experimenting with local models in the home lab using Headlong a microharness for persistent agents. The goals for this experiment have been kind of modest: 

  1. Have fun exploring the "inner life" of Headlong's Persistent agent 
  2. Continuously explore new interfaces and harnesses for AI which might shape future product directions
  3. Seriously explore Hugging Face's lessons learned with commercial API Refusals and begin exploring "Local Open-Weight Models"
  4. Explore tasking out DFIR tasks to various agents as a potential pathway to scale a response by an army of robots

Lab Notes

Initially the planned architecture was to have a headless Debian minimal install running, ollama and serving up qwen3:8b to a Headlong docker instance. This worked but it was painfully slow without good GPUs in my old laptop's hardware. A truly independent and capable open-weight model running locally would be ideal for a cluster of persistent Headlong agents because budgeting for tokens isn't a great place to be if you want to scale your work; but luckily we live in a world where capable models and the inference needed to power them are a few clicks and a credit card away.

To overcome the speed issues I switched to open-router with a $10 token budget. An early misconfiguration of Headlong had me running Claude Sonnet 4.5 which gave great results while eating $4.35 of my budget in the first hour of my experiment. I then migrated to GPT-5 Nano which worked well enough for chat responses but really struggled to utilize the Headlong harness's tooling. I arrived on DeepSeek V4 Flash 0731 for the remainder of my token budget and was very pleased with the price and performance tradeoffs.

DeepSeek was able to perform local host and network enumeration as a hello world type exercise. I then tasked it a university's 3 part network forensic lab. Without any additional steering the results were acceptable and useable. In a production environment I would probably utilize skills to standardize output, standard operating procedures, and recurring workflows.

After running out of tokens I've been utilizing the Nvidia Nemotron 3 Ultra that has free input and output tokens as a way of continuing the experiment; and although I've gotten the agent to build a forensic parser for its own logs I'm happier with the results I was getting from DeepSeek V4 Flash.

After Action Review

If I were starting this experiment over I would start with free models https://openrouter.ai/discover?lane=free but DeepSeek V4 Flash provided wonderful output. One observation I had in switching models is the clear difference in tone, personality, and terseness of output. DeepSeek V4 Flash provided quality output conservatively at a competitive price and I now understand why non-frontier models are so frequently discussed for security research outside the US.

Beyond model economics, the more interesting question was whether the persistent nature of these agents would allow for continuous improvement. It might be useful to encode Kaizen manufacturing type logic to refine a process over time. Interagent communication is simple enough to automate using the Headlong web interface and specialist agents under a director might be a better way to manage projects. The agents get bored without projects to work on and if inference is cheap enough encoding long range goals for them to collaborate on seems like a productive way to spend uptime.

Links

  1. https://www.laude.org/updates/headlong-a-microharness-for-persistent-agents
  2. https://github.com/laude-institute/headlong
  3. https://openrouter.ai/anthropic/claude-sonnet-4.5
  4. https://openrouter.ai/openai/gpt-5-nano
  5. https://openrouter.ai/deepseek/deepseek-v4-flash-0731
  6. https://openrouter.ai/nvidia/nemotron-3-ultra-550b-a55b:free

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lab Notes: Persistence and Privilege Elevation using the Powershell Profile

Lab Notes: Claude Code Session Logs as a Forensic Artifact

Difficult Conversations: Your Detection Coverage Map Is a Lie